"M" is for... Mole Valley

27.07.19 - #1 Mole Valley - The challenge begins!


I had heard this was a beautifully scenic parkrun and I wasn't disappointed. Set nicely in the Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking, Surrey, with the rather impressive Box Hill in the background, Mole Valley is quite an awesome place to be!




I got there early and My Mum, her Husband and my Brother met me there for support. I must be honest, I was very happy to see them.



After a tough week at work in which temperatures got to over 35 degrees, during which I felt slightly heat-exhausted,  I thought I would struggle on what was said to be a hilly course. A laboured warm up - "Just to the end and back!" - showed me how the week really had taken its toll but today was grey, wet and drizzly and I was quite grateful!



After the pre-start formalities with milestone mentions and tourist locations etc (I believe Australia was the furthest distance travelled) 268 of us lined up at the start. Glad to get going, I'd had Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine' playing on constant repeat in my head throughout the whole of my visit so far!





So I had heard this was a tough course..... I can confirm it is a very tough course! Uneven under the feet, solid and rocky pathways slightly angled across-ways, and what felt like half of the course is a gruelling uphill climb. But despite this, it is a beautifully scenic green one lap course through the grapevines.  It is also a very friendly course, as all parkruns are, but I think some are more friendly than others and this falls into that category!






Running down the hill for the last corner I saw my Brother cheering me on as he had already finished. Still with Marvin Gaye on constant replay in my head I was grateful to see the finish line. As it turns out, for someone still getting his fitness back I ran well, definitely inspired by my surroundings and support!




I highly recommend the café here, with a 10% discount if you show them your parkrun barcode. I had a Full English breakfast and bought a bottle of Zig Zag Red to take home. Trying some of the wine made by the grapevines I had just run through was the polite thing to do. Very tasty - Cheers Denbies!




Thanks Mum, David and Chris for your support!



Next up... UPTON COURT!


Please click here for my Just Giving Page - raising funds for MS Society charity


Comments