"E" is for... Evesham

19.10.19 - #12 Evesham - Ding-Dong! Avon Calling!


Driving up to Worcestershire it rained pretty much non-stop the whole way there, as it had done for most of the week leading up to parkrun no. 12 of my Challenge.

I decided to stay overnight on the Friday - somewhere fairly local to Evesham - so I could make the most of this trip (and make sure I could get there quickly after the Crane parkrun fiasco a couple of weeks before!)


As the rain lashed down I had flashbacks to last week's slippery parkrun at Lloyd Park. Not being a 'fairweather' parkrunner (I actually much prefer running in the cooler months), I'm certainly no stranger to muddy terrain but I wasn't familiar with the Evesham course so, undeterred by the miserable weather, I was really curious to reach my destination and see what muddy fun Evesham parkrun had in store! I'd heard that Evesham had been prone to flooding in the past so I was keeping everything crossed that rain wouldn't stop play.


In complete contrast to the day before, Saturday morning started out nice and dry - just a little bit of fog which soon cleared to reveal a beautiful sunrise, with striking red, pink, turquoise and orange hues spanning the skyline as we made the 20 minute drive over to Evesham.


This is a very picturesque part of the country, not far from the northern edge of The Cotswolds, with pretty little villages and old market towns nestled amongst the rolling hills and countryside panoramic views.

On arriving at Evesham, satnav directed us down a quiet, country lane heading right for the River Avon...and it didn't actually tell us to stop! I'm not sure my Ford Focus is built for a Dukes of Hazard style stunt across the river, so thankfully I stopped short of entering the water and instead parked up in the field near the riverside cafe/restaurant which provides parking for parkrunners.


This beauty spot was lovely and tranquil and offered a real change of scenery, especially after doing a few London parkruns recently - a proper breath of fresh air, quite literally!

I'm always on the lookout for parkruns which are a bit different to those I've done before and, on paper, this one seemed to have it all. The whole area is steeped in history, with the famous 1265 Battle of Evesham taking place nearby. The course is set around the flood meadows and alongside the meandering river lined with Lime trees, with just swans, ducks, a few boats and a few dogwalkers for company.


Even the old-fashioned, hand-pulled, cable ferry adds a bit of history and a quirky touch - how many parkruns offer the option to rock up to the start via a (nearly 800 year old) ferry crossing, should you find yourself on the wrong side of the river?!


The Hampton Ferry has been transporting people across the river since the 13th Century, when Benedictine Monks from Evesham Abbey crossed the water to tend their hillside vineyard on the other side!


And back to the present day, for a more civilised and non-alcoholic refreshment there's 'Raphael's Restaurant', for a post-run coffee and chat (or for tea worshippers like me, a huge pot of tea for one!) With plenty of parking as well, this parkrun was certainly full of promise but would it deliver a warm welcome and friendly vibe, I wondered? 


After arriving early and familiarising myself with my new and lovely surroundings, I found a couple of guys who were getting various signs and pieces of equipment from their shed. I had emailed Evesham in advance, about my Challenge, and had a positive response from today's Run Director, Marcus, so I was really hoping to get a shout-out.


One of these guys turned out to be Marcus so I introduced myself, explaining my 'Spell-it-Out' challenge as I tried to make myself useful, helping to put some of the signs out. As more volunteers and a few other early runners started turning up, I had a really good feeling about today.  


As 9 o'clock drew nearer and more and more runners appeared I did a quick warm up to see what my legs were made of today. I felt ok, physically, and was enjoying the atmosphere - excited to get running. I chatted to a very friendly, helpful local parkrunner - a lovely lady who asked about my Challenge. It turned out that she was originally from the same part of South London as where I grew up.


Another very friendly person we chatted to was a tourist from Tilgate parkrun, Crawley - weirdly enough this is another part of the world I'm familiar with and although I've never run at Tilgate before, I did spend a bit of time there in my younger years so it's still a blast from the past!


 It really is a small world though and as a parkrun tourist it never ceases to amaze me how much common ground you can find when chatting to fellow parkrunners...there's always shared experiences and tips and inspiration to be found.


Some of the Volunteers also asked me about my challenge. The good feeling I had about this place was justified. It was already a positive, enjoyable experience and the run hadn't even started! I was simply enjoying the lovely company!


By now it was time for the 'First Timers' briefing and there were quite a few of us. One had come all the way from Australia. I think some were from West Sussex and Bristol and of course my own home parkrun is in Tring, Hertfordshire, but Oz wins, hands-down! I also spotted a Double Alphabeteer amongst us - a very impressive feat, I must say.


We were advised that there was a course adjustment today due to some works going on further up the route. This meant extra time in the long, wet grass but I didn't mind. If I could run up and down the soggy, hilly fields of East Grinstead, Tring and Lloyd (which I did!) I could run anywhere!

119 of us lined up at the start, plus a few dogs but no buggies (not sure if they're allowed...and if not, that's probably the only downside to this particular course, if you're that way inclined and running with a buggy is your kind of torture thing!)


Our RD, Marcus, was full of charisma and held everyone's attention while he welcomed us all. I didn't hear even one solitary peep from anyone during the RD's briefing - (something which is not always the case and always seems a shame), and I'm pleased to report that the Evesham gang today displayed impeccable manners!

Marcus mentioned my Challenge and introduced me as "a very special guest" (so kind - thank you!) To my delight everyone then turned around and clapped, smiling and congratulating me.


Then, whilst standing at the crowded Start line, something quite simple yet profoundly special happened. I was tapped on the shoulder by a lady who told me that she was an M.S. sufferer. She shook my hand and thanked me. Her husband shook my hand too and then another runner walked over and shook my hand.

At that precise moment I realised that all of the hard work (the running itself, the hours travelling to and from parkruns, plus the many hours writing my blogs and editing photos) was all worth it, even just for that moment alone. I'm not too shy to say that I feel a bit emotional writing this now and recalling that experience.

I felt so welcome at that moment, as though somehow fate had brought me and my Challenge to exactly the right place. Of course I already knew why I was doing this Challenge and already felt connected to the cause but this chance meeting and fantastic reception put everything into context as clear as day. I felt so humbled and glad to be doing my bit to try and make a difference.


Without further ado we set off on our run - a flat, modified, 3 lap course - partly on paths and partly cross-country. Due to the heavy rainfall during the week, the ground was very wet and there were some big puddles.


With the River Avon to your right as you come back from the first mini loop, past the finish funnel, you run along a worn pathway in between some trees which are changing colours nicely - putting on a lovely, autumnal display.



You then cross a bridge (careful not to slip) before running around a big open field to create another loop. After running back over the bridge with a brief opportunity to "High Five" the runners coming the other way, you do a sharp right onto the second field and follow the perimeter back to the start, which you then have to repeat 3 times.





I should add that I also received loads of encouragement from all the Evesham marshals, on all 3 occasions that I ran past each of them, as well as plenty of encouragement from fellow runners along the way.

I even had a conversation with one runner on the way around the 2nd lap, about my challenge! Maybe I could have been running faster? Oh well! 





After completing the course and running through the finish funnel (recovering with vast amounts of water!), I chatted to yet more inquisitive runners and volunteers.

I really appreciated the chance to explain why I was there, shining a light on Multiple Sclerosis, which (in my personal opinion) seems to be under-represented when it comes to charity fundraising efforts.



Despite MS affecting 100,000 men, women & children in the UK, I also find that a lot of people don't know what MS is. Presumably they're the fortunate people who have no experience of this cruel and debilitating neurological condition, either first-hand or through a friend or family member.


One of the volunteers asked what my favourite parkrun was... A very tough question!

I decided that the people are what makes the parkrun and I wasn't just saying it because I was there but Evesham had already made a fantastic impression with its friendly, enthusiastic parkrun folk. The sun had even come out by this point, to match the cheery dispositions of the happy, shiny, parkrun people!

Whilst I was busy chatting and soaking up the atmosphere, someone came over and generously handed me a £10 donation (to add to my Just Giving tally, for the MS Society charity). Minutes later another £5 was handed to me...followed by another £5 a little while later!


After taking more photos and seeing the Tail Walker cross the finish line (complete with fluffy tail!) I naturally had to try the cafe afterwards - a nice facility with plenty of space indoors & outdoors and a decent menu from cakes and snacks through to bigger meals.

The tea was great and the yummy bacon sandwich also hit the spot nicely.


Reluctantly, it was soon time to go. By now most of the runners had gone and the only people left were the volunteers. On my way out I thanked Marcus and his gang for the wonderful welcome and I headed off home.

Thanks, Evesham parkrun, for highlighting my fundraising cause by sharing my link on your Facebook page.

Since my visit there have been several further sponsorship donations as a result - I must say a special thank you for the super generous £50 donation (from one fantastically kind lady), but all amounts have truly been very gratefully received, so my sincerest thanks to each and every person who has donated to help fund the fight against Multiple Sclerosis. 

You're all stars!


If I was able to build my ideal parkrun, from scratch, it'd not look too dissimilar to Evesham as all the main ingredients are there - the picturesque waterside location against a countryside backdrop...plentiful parking (& space for bikes) with the course's Start & Finish points close together...a cafe nextdoor...a bit of history & heritage to add interest and context, rooting the parkrun in the local community...plus the most important ingredient of all - the friendly, passionate, creative & supportive people who genuinely care about parkrun and eachother.

Evesham showed huge generosity, in spirit as well as in monetary terms, so thank you all for contributing to my amazing experience.


I left feeling mentally & emotionally energised and, without wanting to go too heavy on the cheese, I must add that the kindness and warmth of the gang at Evesham (both locals & visitors) epitomises the supportive spirit and ethos of parkrun.

I shall be back! Who knows, I might even enter the Evesham 10K next summer, which one of you recommended!

Cheers Evesham...just the sweetest, loveliest parkrun with a huge heart (and a ferry on top!!!)


Next up: RUTLAND WATER!



Please click here for my Just Giving page - raising funds for the MS Society charity



Comments