"S" is for... Stevenage

23.11.19 - #17 Stevenage - Mission Accomplished!


After all of the planning, the running and the writing, this was finally it - the conclusion of my Spell-it-Out parkrun Challenge to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis, whilst raising funds for the MS Society charity along the way.


This challenge had become all-consuming - both fantastically rewarding and tiring in equal measure - hugely enjoyable but still very much a challenge.

I started back in July and for four long months I'd been running my little support socks off in all weathers to reach this point, from the searing summer heatwave to the freaky high winds and hurricanes, torrential downpours of epic proportions and even Jack Frost putting in an appearance.


At times I wondered if this day would ever come and whether or not my recovering ankle, foot and back would hold up but thankfully, somehow, my mind and body had just about stayed aligned.

I'd tested my tired body to the limit but sheer determination had carried me through and the end was now in sight - I just needed to bag myself the final letter "S" to complete the words "MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS" and it'd be mission accomplished.


As well as marking the culmination of this charity-based challenge, this event would enable me to complete a different type of challenge. Getting today's run under my belt would see me joining the 'Half Cowell' club, as I was set to run my 50th different parkrun location.

"No pressure, Left Foot, but I've been working hard and building up to this for quite a while now so please hang in there!", I thought to myself.


Stevenage parkrun was the chosen event for this grand finale. Within easy reach of my home parkrun in Tring and being one of the larger parkruns in the area, with an average of around 300 runners each week, it was the obvious choice to accommodate the "Orange Army"....

....Orange Army being the term of endearment given to the amazingly supportive band of merry men, women, children and even dogs who have braved all weathers to kindly accompany me on this venture, travelling to the different parkrun locations to cheer me on for the cause.



Earlier in my challenge I'd visited Panshanger and Letchworth parkruns, both very local to Stevenage, so today's return to North Hertfordshire followed what felt like a well-travelled route. Stevenage might be famous for being the UK's first New Town but it is also home to lots of green spaces, including the Fairlands Valley Park where parkrun takes place.

Stevenage is also known for its rich sporting heritage, with talent such as Formula One's Lewis Hamilton, international golfing pro, Ian Poulter, and notable England footballers, Jack Wilshere and Ashley Young all hailing from the town, amongst others. With such sporting pedigree it's no surprise that this town hosts a successful parkrun event.




As I drove into the Park and saw the large boating lake, I couldn't wait to get running. There is something a bit special about waterside courses and at Stevenage you're treated to not one, but two, lakes to navigate.

It's a two lap course starting at the path intersection near where the two lakes meet, following the lakeside path around the water and through some trees - mostly flat but finishing up a short hill, on a grassy bank near the boathouse.


The route is pretty straightforward but came with an unexpected twist. At two points during the course the running pack will split as you are presented with a choice about which terrain to take, for a relatively short distance - either the solid ground (tarmac path) or the softer option (muddy grass) - before re-joining the field to complete the course all together.


I've not seen this type of multiple choice scenario at parkrun before so it was a novel, quirky and interesting point of difference. I don't know if this is a regular feature or just a temporary thing due to the wet weather.....either way though, it's always fun to experience new and unique twists on the tried and tested parkrun formula.

Regardless of which route you take, this is a fast course with a course record of 15:07. Naturally I was going to try my best, as always, however being tired and sore, my aim was just to get a time....any time!


Throughout this challenge, the tougher times have kept me extra mindful of those affected by MS - those who have to carry on through their pain and struggles. I am acutely aware of how fortunate I am, that I am in a position to even attempt a physical challenge after being injured for so long. The reason I'm doing this challenge is never far from my mind.

Undeterred by the weather and yet another wet and grey day, spirits were lifted as the "Orange Army" assembled ready to take on Stevenage parkrun, both runners and cheerleading crew alike.


Being joined by so many friends and family really warmed the cockles on a chilly and otherwise miserable-looking day.

Fellow "Orange" runners included the fabulously loyal and stalwart supporters, Ken and Claudia, as the Tring parkrun contingent.....close family friends, Noriko and Neil, (veteran Surrey parkrunner and a bit of a legend in those parts!).....my brother Chris (just days after running a 40 mile ultramarathon - my hero!).....and we were also joined by my lovely, long-standing pal, Kate, accompanied by her partner, Adrian.


Supporting us runners and cheering us on from the sidelines, armed with orange pom-poms, were my Mum and step-dad, David....my brother's girlfriend, Caroline, along with Max the Jack Russell.....plus our very special guest, the lovely Helen, who was representing the MS Society.


I was very humbled to be joined by so many wonderful supporters, most of whom had travelled quite a distance to be there and had also made the effort to join me at several other parkruns during my challenge.


It was pretty busy and a rather impressive 368 people lined up to run, walk or push their way around the dog and buggy-friendly course that day.



I ran with my brother, who was sporting a brilliant orange & white traffic cone hat, so we were spotted a mile off, even when our bright orange tops were obscured from view.

When you're 6ft tall and you've got a life-size cone on top of your head, you're always going to stand out a bit, even when your pointy tip starts to droop half way through the proceedings! (How embarrassing?!!!)


I'm pleased to report that Team Orange made it around in one piece and with very respectable times too (not that it's a race, of course!)



In terms of running performance, special mentions go to Ken, who is in fantastic form right now and also Claudia, who ran despite having a Half Marathon the following day.....




....also kudos to the ever-competitive Neil who crossed the finish line in 3rd place but actually topped the table in Age Grade % rankings (woohooo!).....and Noriko who wasn't far behind, with her superb run placing her 7th in the Age Grade rankings....


....but today wasn't really about times - more about the taking part - dotting the i's and crossing the t's to complete the final stage of my journey.


We all enjoyed the fun vibe and the camaraderie, cheering each other on and over the finish line, in the knowledge that we'd all played our part in making a difference and making this challenge dream a reality.



For me, reaching the finish funnel filled me with elation and joy, tinged with a sense of relief that I'd completed my goal. To my mind, the Stevenage parkrun wasn't simply a 5k run around a park, this was the final 5 km leg of a cumulative 85 km parkrun journey.


Somehow my wobbly foot and I had successfully made it to the end - an achievement which I'm massively proud of but my work here is now done and I'd be more than happy to hand over the (virtual) orange baton to anyone else who fancied having a go at fundraising for this fantastically deserving cause....so who's next?!

After a few extra photos we stopped at the onsite cafe for a post-run cuppa and some breakfast.



Mum brought some specially decorated cakes to celebrate the occasion with our fellow parkrunners and was kindly offered donations to add to my JustGiving tally. Thanks to all of the Stevenage parkrunners who generously donated. 


The core parkrun team and volunteers were welcoming, from the shout-out at the Runners Briefing, to the encouragement from the Marshals around the course, followed up by the kind mention on their Facebook page afterwards.

Thank you to Helen (Run Director on the day), Richard (Event Director), and everyone else who helped me round off my challenge in such style!


After a good old natter and refuelling we headed off home - fundraising total boosted and hearts buoyed by the support of friends, family and the wider parkrun community.

It really is amazing what can be achieved when like-minded people come together with goodwill, generosity and a common goal.....something which parkrunners do so well.

Thank you, Stevenage - the last (but not least!) of the 17 parkruns selected to play their part in this quest.


Well, I did it! Challenge set, planned and completed. Mission accomplished! In the words of Dr Peter Venkman, Bill Murray's character in the Ghostbusters films....."We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" 

In all seriousness though, if only we could kick the arse out of MS and obliterate this awful condition from existence. Please join me in keeping everything crossed for a major breakthrough very soon and continuing to support the MS Society charity and their wonderful work wherever possible.


As I write this, my JustGiving total is......(cue drumroll and fanfare! )....just under £1300! I'm so so grateful to have far exceeded my own expectations and my initial target of £1000, which, at the time it was set, felt very ambitious.

Although I'm ridiculously happy to have raised so much already, it would be marvellous to get a bit more, if at all possible please, even if just to round up the total.

Every little bit really does make a difference and if anyone has been procrastinating, now is the time to click here to donate!

Thank you all!


Please click here for my Just Giving page - raising funds for the MS Society charity


Comments