"L" is for... Littlehampton

10.08.19 - #3 Littlehampton Prom - 

Warmth and sunny dispositions on a grey and blustery day!


I was away with my family for a few days holiday on England's south coast.  As I needed to run the letter "L" next, in my 'spell-it-out' challenge, I decided to choose a place where I had spent a fair amount of my childhood summers - Littlehampton, West Sussex.  Perfect!






The only downside to this plan was that the weather, which had not really played a part in proceedings up until this point, was now threatening to throw a massive spanner at my well-planned schedule!



Despite it being early August, the wind and rain was already starting to pick up as we headed into the weekend, with gale conditions forecast for the Saturday morning. I was worried that this parkrun might be cancelled due to the weather warnings, as were many others in and around the area already.

Needless to say, I kept everything crossed!



Littlehampton Prom parkrun is a seafront promenade course (as its name suggests!), so I imagine that they must be used to being exposed to the elements and the coastal breeze. 

Although their Facebook page advised that they were planning to go ahead, I was still a little anxious as I went to sleep on Friday night. The high tide and unseasonably high, gale force winds meant that things were going to get pretty wild out there but I was really geared up to run that specific parkrun on that specific day, so it needed to happen!



I got there nice and early to get a feel for the place, and met a few of the all important volunteers as they were setting up. I was so happy to see them putting out the "Start" and "Finish" signs - always a reassuring sight at the best of times but even more so that day.

As more and more runners started to turn up, braving the weather, it was looking more and more likely that my letter "L" wasn't going to be postponed after all. Result!





image credit: Littlehampton Prom parkrun Facebook Page

As preparations were underway, I checked out the dramatic views along the beach and out to sea, watching the seagulls flapping about, the waves smashing against the harbour and the flags almost blowing away from the flagpole! It was blustery alright, just as predicted. My hair felt like it was almost blowing off my head, with each gust, and grains of sand blasted my bare legs as I wandered about. That hurts!

This was going to be a mission but I was up for it. Bring it on!




I must admit that I didn't warm up as much as I should have done but as I imagine most promenade parkruns to be, this was a nice, flat, concrete/tarmac course, so not too taxing for seasoned parkrunners and pretty quick too.

Starting near the Pier and Lifeboat Station, the course takes you alongside the beach - out and back twice, which meant that you were running into the full force of the oncoming gale, on both of the return legs! Of course on the plus side, the wind was behind you for 50% of the run, helping you along!



This parkrun is still fairly new - it was only started in April. Today, against the odds, there were 117 of us lined up for Run No. 17 (accompanied by a few happy dogs, of course!) Clearly the parkrunners of Littlehampton are a hardcore bunch and could handle getting a battering from the weather as that's still a decent turnout, considering!

I imagine that on a sunnier, calmer, Summer's day it will usually be quite a lot busier, with day-trippers and holiday-makers boosting numbers. (The previous week there had been more than twice the number of runners there, compared to when I visited visit, with their biggest attendance to date - 284.)





As is customary at parkrun, we had the pre-run "Runners Briefing" to set us up nicely for the main event. To my surprise I got a special mention about this Challenge and a lovely round of applause that I really wasn't expecting either!

Now that it's properly underway, I think perhaps it's time that I started telling my story more - spreading the word about how and why I came to think up this challenge, what I'm doing and where I'm doing it!

image credit: Littlehampton Prom parkrun Facebook Page

There was also a special shout-out for the team from the Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust who came along to team up with parkrun, raising awareness of their "S.A.F.E." suicide prevention and mental health campaign. More information about this great local initiative can be found here on their website

As is usually the case at parkrun, there were a few notable milestones being celebrated and also a few tourists from various far-flung locations including Wales (as well as myself, visiting from exotic Tring in Hertfordshire, of course!)

Housekeeping business out of the way....and then we were finally off!....



On today's run I was supported by Mum & David, sisters Jen and Lou, brother-in-law Steve and family friend Neil (thank you!), but I also felt massive support from the other runners and volunteers (one of which was talking to me while we were running and another chatted after the finish). The excellent Run Director cheered me over the line - a lovely gesture. What a superb calibre of volunteers Littlehampton have and it makes all the difference!


photo credit: Littlehampton Prom parkrun Facebook Page

The run was enjoyable but a total challenge in itself. The only shielding came from a few nicely placed beach huts but then came the completely open, gale force winds, almost pushing you backwards - really not one for the faint-hearted or fair-weather runners that day but I'm sure it's not always the case!

My overwhelming impression though, was how the task was made easier by the volunteers, who were brilliantly supportive, warm and friendly - absolute stars, clapping and encouraging everyone on. There was a lot of chat amongst the runners too - smiles and acknowledgement that we'd all braved the fierce conditions and run that day, undeterred - proper camaraderie!





Thank you Littlehampton for your awesome support!

Seaside courses are always fun and memorable, with spectacular views etc, but in the case of Littlehampton Prom, I'd say it's more the people that make it special and really stand out. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting and will definitely be back to run parkrun and eat ice cream....hopefully when the weather is a little more settled!

Although it's usually a PB course, today it felt like a huge achievement just to stay upright and complete the course...but, at the risk of sounding way too cheesy, we all did it together and the spirit of parkrun was alive and totally kicking it! Littlehampton rocks!


Next up: The superbly wonderful TRING parkrun!


image credit: Littlehampton Prom parkrun Facebook Page



Please click here for my Just Giving Page - raising funds for MS Society charity

Comments