"U" is for... Upton Court

03.08.19 - #2 Upton Court - Week 2 and the letter "U"

So next up, Upton Court!

I hadn't heard much about this course, except from a friend who said he wasn't too fussed about it.....thankfully I didn't listen to him! As always, I arrived early with no expectations, an open mind and anticipation and excitement, ready to find the Upton Court Park venue (in Slough, Berkshire) and run its parkrun.



It's worth noting that the best postcode to use for parking is SL3 7UX. For some strange reason Google Maps had been messing around with the park postcodes and suddenly started sending people onto the M4 motorway, telling them to park up there and walk the rest of the way! 


The weather was overcast but dry and even at 8.20am it was starting to feel pretty warm and humid. There were quite a few people taking an early morning stroll and making use of the boot-camp style outdoor gym equipment. It's an urban park, close to main roads and a built-up residential area but the large, open green space has a nice feel.




Arriving at the nearby car-park it wasn't immediately obvious where the run started.

(If you're wondering.... with the large free car-park behind you, you have to walk diagonally across the large adjoining playing field (bearing right, past the clump of trees in front of you, in the middle of the field), heading to the Slough Rugby & Football Club in the far right corner of the field, just out of view).



On this occasion there was a man flying a model aeroplane but I'm not sure if he will always be there!!!

As always, when travelling to new parkruns, I was glad to spot the familiar and instantly recognisable parkrun branded signs in the distance so I knew I was on the right track.



For a fleeting moment, walking over to the well-kept and inviting rugby fields I almost fancied taking up rugby myself but with my injury history I immediately decided that was an awful idea! I warmed up next to the pitch, imagining kicking a winning conversion as I stretched my legs.



The clubhouse was the typical rugby or cricket type building that reminded me of the many cricket matches I used to play many years ago! They all somehow look and smell the same, like an old Cub or Scout hut or something from my school P.E. days. 


As the clock ticked on, more and more brightly-clothed runners arrived and before long came the familiar call of "First time runners, please!" It was a good briefing - friendly, informative and to the point.

A lot of people seemed to be parkrun tourists visiting there to add the rare letter "U" to their parkrun tally. I guess I was also one of those people but my alphabet-based challenge is specifically to spell out "MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS" (as a charity fundraiser), rather than the usual A-Z challenge just for fun!



I'm glad that I'm not likely to finish first at a parkrun as I am certain that I would run the wrong way, especially as a tourist, but that's more a reflection of my sense of direction than anything else and the instructions given today were clear enough!

As we waited at the start line, listening to the various parkrun dos and don'ts, I noted that this is probably the most culturally diverse group of parkrunners I've ever had the pleasure to run with (and I've done a fair few different parkruns!). I love the parkrun ethos and the way it brings together like-minded people with a shared interest in running, to create such a strong sense of community and spirit.



The start always takes me by surprise. It's always a sudden "Go!" and I almost have to ask my legs if they wouldn't mind running! So we are off - myself and 215 other parkrunners.


I'd describe the running conditions as near perfect - sunny but not too hot. The ground was fairly solid, but not too solid, and not in the slightest bit squidgy! The course is mostly flat (result!) and set around the park with 2 laps of the fields - part grass and part tarmac paths - with markers at each km.



On the 1k/4k stretch you can see the world-famous Windsor Castle in the background and a constant stream of aeroplanes preparing for descent into London Heathrow. I'd say Upton Park is a kind course for running and today I found it pretty fast and flat, also green and sunny.




Something about this park reminds me of the parkrun logo - I think it is the trees lined up along the edge of the field! I also felt a bit nostalgic, like I was back at school doing a cross-country race around the school playing fields. It felt proper old-fashioned!



I finished the course niggle-free (always a bonus!) and was happy with my time.



Unusually, when you finish this parkrun you have to go inside the clubhouse to hand in your token and get your barcode scanned, where the catering facilities are serving up refreshments for sale (cash only).

Their ploy worked well....I treated myself to a cup of tea and a sausage and egg bap for breakfast - a welcome post-parkrun pit-stop and I'd definitely earned it!


Making my way back over the fields, I stopped for the obligatory selfie in front of the blue "Upton Court" parkrun sign, just to show I was there. Before I had the chance to snap my photo a couple of very friendly fellow parkrunners asked if I wanted them to take my picture! I returned the favour and then headed back to car, taking in one last view of the royal residence and historic landmark up on the hill before driving off home.




Thank you Upton Court parkrun! Nice course and volunteers. Great for PBs with a nice, friendly and relaxed vibe.

Next up... LITTLEHAMPTON!



Please click here for my Just Giving Page - raising funds for MS Society charity









Comments