"I" is for... Ifield Mill Pond

16.11.19 - #16 Ifield Mill Pond - No Trouble at t' Mill!


As my challenge is nearing it's end I think I'm finally used to waking up early on Saturdays. It's only taken me 4 months!

Today was an hour and a half trip down to Ifield Mill Pond parkrun in Crawley - the penultimate run of this fundraising journey and not far from the East Grinstead parkrun which I ran as the first letter "E" of my challenge, back in September.


Ifield's parkrun sneaked in to my Challenge schedule as a late substitution for my second letter "I". This parkrun only started in late September, when my Challenge was already well underway, but I chose to switch to Ifield as it's not too far from where my family live, in Surrey.


Crawley was possibly best known for being home to the UK's second busiest airport (Gatwick) or perhaps for growing talent such as football's Gareth Southgate, music legends The Cure and comedian Romesh Ranganathan.....but now this West Sussex town is really on the map with its newest parkrun - already a popular choice for Alphabeteers and those doing a 'Spell-It-Out' style challenge like me, in search of a relatively rare "I" parkrun in southern England.

Today I wasn't going to be the only runner from the "Orange Army" - what we affectionately call the team of supporters who have joined me on this challenge for the MS Society charity (with orange coloured logo & branding.) My Mum and Step-Dad were also on their way over there which was great news!


As parkrun tourists know, sometimes you just plug the given postcode in to your satnav and, "Hey, presto!" - you'll arrive at exactly the parkrun location and it'll be immediately obvious where to park, where the course is and, more importantly, where it starts! Easy peasy!...

...But sometimes it's a little more tricky and requires a bit more forward planning.....well, Ifield Mills Pond parkrun is one of the latter.




Due to extremely limited parking on site (reserved for other park users/blue badge holders) the parkrun team advise a few alternatives (including free bus travel on presenting your parkrun barcode - how cool is that?!) so be sure to check out their instructions fully before setting off.


I opted to head for Waterfield Gardens, with a 5 mins walk to the start location. I found myself in a housing estate but I knew it must be near when I saw a sign for the Ifield Mill Pond itself.....but faced with several different paths, which direction should I go?!

I spotted a few more people who looked like they were dressed for parkrun but my relief was shortlived when they also turned out to be tourists who were just as lost as I was!


We couldn't see any parkrun signs and although I could see a big pond, through the trees, I couldn't see enough land to run on and although the parkrun movement is always growing and moving into new territory I don't think it has ventured into a swimming event quite yet! 

During this challenge it's so imperative that I arrive at each location with plenty of time to introduce myself to the RD and explain what I'm doing there but thankfully the panic was over when some kind locals pointed us in the right direction.


Although there are no facilities at the Waterfield end of the site, I'd really recommend this parking option. I parked up by the bridge at the entrance to the pond and had a lovely walk across the water....

.....well, when I say I walked across the water, I mean on the fab, new, 310ft long boardwalk which takes you the scenic route across the pond. I'd like to think that this charity challenge might be polishing up my tarnished old halo at least a teeny tiny bit but actually walking on water might be a bit of a stretch!!! ;) 


At the end of the boardwalk take the right-hand path which leads you right up to the parkrun starting point.


The recently refurbished wetland site is a thriving little wildlife haven and on my visit (to what I later discovered was the "South Pond") it was full of various birds and waterfowl, including a heron and several Cormorants (at least I think that's what they were anyway!)


I'd love to come back and do this parkrun in the Summer when the area will apparently be home to lots of frogs, toads, newts, dragonflies and if you're lucky maybe kingfishers too. 

The course route doesn't actually incorporate the boardwalk area (South Pond) or the Water Mill itself (North Pond) but it's definitely worth making time to have a proper look around this lovely spot.


I made it to the Start with plenty of time to spare and introduced myself to the Run Director, Mandy - a lovely lady.

It was the day after 'Children In Need' and as Mandy was sporting a brilliant Pudsey Bear outfit I instantly knew that she must be the generous and charitable type and would hopefully help me with a shout-out for my own fundraiser!



After saying "Hi" to my Mum and Step-Dad I spotted some other familiar faces - some friends of the family who had come over from Collingwood Athletic Club in Wallington, Surrey, to try the new parkrun and celebrate one of their runners completing the Alphabet challenge on this, her 300th parkrun (fantastic achievement, Alison!)


It was just coincidence that we were all here on the same day but I enlisted a few as honorary, part-time members of the "Orange Army" anyway, just for the day!


165 runners lined up. Mandy gave me and my Challenge a great mention in the main Runners Briefing which definitely helped the cause - I collected a total of £46 in cash from the generous parkrunners at Ifield which has been added to my JustGiving tally. Thank you all so much!



It was lovely to start the run with my Mum and we were soon off on our way.
The course itself is quite unusual. Whilst the venue probably isn't an obvious choice for a 5km running event, with limited space and narrow paths, somehow (amazingly!) they've managed to work it in....where there's a will there's a way, eh?!


This town is definitely big enough for both of its parkruns and this is the chosen place for the newest addition.

It's two and a bit laps, starting and finishing in the same place. For the most part you run alongside the tree-lined edge of the pond, between the pond and the edge of the housing estate, along the pathways and over bridges.


Due to the nature of the course no buggies or dogs are allowed (for safety reasons) but you can soon see why - with runners travelling in both directions alongside eachother, on narrow paths, with tight bends and turns plus quite a few of the locals out for their morning strolls. 

Because of the multi-directional running though, it's a good course if you like to see lots of people on your way around (passing so many oncoming runners) and also it's a good one for spectators who can watch lots of 'traffic' at the busy junction/turning points.


Due to heavy rain the grass was extremely boggy and sloshy so unless you're a bonkers 'Tough Mudder' type it wasn't really advisable to stray off the tarmac pathways if it could be helped.


A few puddles had collected on the paths but thankfully the rain stopped shortly into proceedings and the sun even made a welcome appearance to take the edge off the chill and brighten the way.


I'm really not chasing PBs at the moment. Since my accident and long-term recovery I don't take this running malarkey for granted and I'm just grateful to get around the course in one piece, so I was really happy to finish in 25:28 which placed me top 50 on the day (just!)



I had the chance to get my breath back ready to cheer my Mum over the line.



It was a great effort by all and all the Marshals and other Volunteers did a fab job too.




After the run we all chatted more and posed for a few photos before driving round to the designated post-parkrun cafe at the nearby Squires Garden Centre, for breakfast and steaming hot pots of tea to warm us up.

It's a decent sized cafe which is just as well because the Ifield parkrunners are a sociable lot and with quite a few tourists in tow as well the place was very busy!


I chatted with the RD a little more and thanked her for the warm welcome and hospitality shown to us. The whole parkrun team was friendly and seemed so happy to be there...I know it's a new parkrun but I get the impression that the reception will be just as lovely when I come back and visit again next time, whenever that may be.

We all left on a high. Thanks Ifield Mill Pond parkrun, hopefully see you again some day!


Next up: STEVENAGE
for my Challenge Finale!


Please click here for my Just Giving page - raising funds for the MS Society charity

Comments