"S" is for... Sixfields Upton

09.11.19 - #15 Sixfields Upton - What a Lovely Load of Cobblers!


For the second but penultimate letter "S" a trip to Northamptonshire beckoned.

On the morning my first thought was, "Yay, it's not raining!" After a couple of weeks of very heavy rain I wasn't chasing a PB - all I really hoped for was a dryish parkrun, just for a change. Although still quite dark out I could tell that the weather was OK. Phew!



Claudia, another member of the "Orange Army" (friends/family supporting me on this challenge), was joining me for this event so together we set off up the M1 to Northampton. 



An hour or so later we arrived at Sixfields retail park, opposite the Northampton Town football stadium - home of 'The Cobblers'. Due to limited parking at the course itself, this was the recommended parking place.


Luckily we spotted a few friendly looking people and as it happened they were also there for parkrun so we followed them for the short walk to Upton Country Park.


As we walked into the park I could just about see some runners, volunteers and parkrun signs in the distance despite the freezing fog which had descended and shrouded everywhere with wintery frost and mist for dramatic effect. So pretty and atmospheric!

Veiled in a crisp, white blanket the landscape appeared quite bleak yet beautiful and I was eager to explore.  


On this fundraising Challenge I always introduce myself to the Run Director as soon as I get there. Claudia and I were on the roster as Post Event Clear Up volunteers so I wandered straight over to Andrew for a quick chat.


He'd read the email I'd sent beforehand but I explained further, so he knew exactly why I was there. The day got off to a great start as Andrew kindly handed me a cash donation to add to my tally, followed by another two donations from fellow runners later on.

Thank you all. Very kind!


As it was the day before Remembrance Sunday, before the runners set off we all observed a minute silence to remember all of the fallen heroes who died in conflict. Very moving. 

Incidentally it was also 30 years since the Berlin Wall fell so it seemed particularly fitting and poignant to be here running with my new German friend, Claudia.

Reflecting on the sacrifices of others brought it home how fortunate we are, to have the liberty and freedom to come together as like-minded people in a safe environment and spend our leisure time doing what we enjoy.



The start took us by surprise. It was one of those parkruns where one second you're being briefed and then the next you're suddenly sent running...or 'sloshing through the mud' may be more accurate as there had been plenty of rain in the days prior.


The course itself was a mixture of tarmac pathways, grass and also stony paths. It is a very picturesque run taking you through sheep-filled fields, farmland and parkland - by water and over bridges.....I didn't quite count six fields but there were a few!


This really felt like a 'proper' parkrun. It was friendly and busy (but not too busy) - a multi-surface 2 lapper with lovely marshals - all at a location which is just perfect for running.




I really enjoyed the run and if I was local to the area I'd definitely enjoy running this course at other times, not just on parkrun day.




I approached the funnel with another sprint finish which probably helped to keep me under 26 minutes (just!)....




....and Claudia crossed the finish line not too long afterwards.


After getting our barcodes scanned we had time for a few more photos before clapping the last runners/walkers through the funnel....




 ....before starting our post-event tidy up duties, clearing the signs and equipment away.



I took the opportunity to chat with the RD about the course and how much I'd enjoyed running it...

....and for the record, I don't say that to all the RDs I meet! 😉 





We stopped off at the Starbucks at Cineworld for a well deserved cuppa. After demolishing a gingerbread man (head first, naturally!) we headed back home to thaw out.


All in all a very pleasant trip to a parkrun course I'd love to revisit. Thanks Sixfields, for the lovely warm welcome on such an icy cold day.

15 parkruns completed and just 2 more to go! Very nearly there now! Woohoo!!!

Next up: IFIELD MILL POND!

Please click here for my Just Giving page - raising funds for the MS Society charity

Comments